Friday 2 December 2011

Flash Photography



I've had some questions about the camera that I use for my blog pictures and YouTube videos so for those interested.. this is it! When I first started blogging I had an old Sony Cybershot with a broken screen that I used to point randomly at things hoping they were in the frame and then crop and edit later on the computer. When I got my iPhone4 I used that to film and blog because it was easy but the quality wasn't great so I finally took the plunge and bought a new camera... that was a year ago and the camera was a Nikon Coolpix L100.. you can see my excited blog post about that here. It's a "bridge" camera which means it's not quite an SLR but it's got a lot more manual settings that a regular point and shoot. It's a stepping stone on the way to big fancy camera if you will. I knew sooner or later I was going to get an SLR but it was such a chunk of cash I didn't want to part with it just yet. It's not necessary for blogging but my photos are 100% better now and I don't even know how to use it properly so imagine what they could be like! A couple of months ago I decided to go for it and bought the Canon EOS 1100D. I figured with Milo about to arrive and a trip to Las Vegas around the corner it was silly to put it off when I'd really appreciate it for those events. I chose the 1100D because it's the "starter" model which means each setting has a little info on screen for noobs like me that have no idea what they're doing. I can't film my YT videos with it yet as I can't get the focus right so I still use my Nikon for that but I'm learning. I can sit and play with the settings for hours but the best I've been able to do with it so far is this..


Pretty cool but I know it can do so much more. I think our Vegas vacation will really put it to the test.. can't wait! I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the market for their first SLR but shop around because they can range from £350-450 dependant on where you buy so be smart!

I would mention, however, that anyone new to blogging with no outside interest in photography really doesn't need to be shelling out that kind of cash just for blog photos. A standard camera will do and there are plenty of posts out there on how to get great product photos. Enthusiasm and patience are important!
Photos can definitely make or break a blog for me, you can tell when the bloggers lost interest and if they can't keep themselves interested when composing the pictures and the post how do they expect to hold a readers interest? 


MissBB

7 comments:

  1. I agree with judging a blog by its photos! If a blog has hardly any photos, or they are all out of focus etc, I will completely lose interest.

    - Allie x


    Allie UK Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting post!
    My camera is a crappy little point and shoot that cost about £50 years ago!! To compensate I edit the photos later and add effects like vignettes to add "interest" and hopefully it looks okay?! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this camera about two weeks ago-amazing!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you about blog pictures, yes you don't need to fanciest camera, but a fuzzy picture just doesnt cut it anymore.
    I think especially in Beauty Blogging, you need a camera that can pick up the colour and texture of the make-up well.

    I was also wondering, I noticed your post a couple of weeks back asking for Guest Bloggers.
    I realise I'm very, very fashionably late now, but would I be able to write a wee guest post for you?
    My blog is:
    www.beauty-tothemax.com

    If you're interested please email me:
    beauty-tothemax@hotmail.co.uk

    Thanks,
    Max
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice camera! I'm wondering if you could take close-up photos of your eyes holding such a big camera? I'm looking at the Canon EOS 60D but i'm so hesitant because I also do quite a few FOTDs and need closeups of my face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree that if blogs have nice photos i'm more likely to follow if they're in focus etc and not just all from a phone in rubbish lighting! i have the 1000d and although i love it so much, i saved up for it i really now want the 1100d as i could record on it and it seems so much better. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on the hunt for a new camera for Vegas next yr too.. don't really have SLR money yet though, quite interested in the Nikon you mentioned. Silly Q but from what period were you using the Nikon? Just so I can look over a few of your posts & videos to see the quality. Its half price in Argos at the mo so might have to grab it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...