Friday 11 November 2011

Best Budget Brushes


After my Drugstore Starter Kit video the other day lots of people expressed an interest in a similar post/video about my favourite budget brushes.. well here it is!
The video will be up on my YouTube channel on Monday (I'm trying to schedule so I don't have weeks of dead air time when Milo arrives) so to get that as soon as it's live go SUBSCRIBE!
It was difficult to whittle it down and I rambled on about a lot of brushes in the video but here I will show you the absolute essentials of my collection that i would recommend as a good basic starter kit.


First up are the face brushes..

Sigma Duo Fibre F50 Stippling Brush (£12.99 here)
I now use this soley for powder as it dusts just the right amount over my face and doesn't leave me feeling over-made up and cakey but it is also suitable for applying liquid foundation.

ELF Powder Brush (£3.50 here)
Could be used for liquid or powder foundation, buffs in easily for an airbrushed finish and covers a large surface area.. It would be my number one for liquid foundation if I was to apply with a brush.

Benefit Slant Powder Brush (£4.85 here)
I actually purchased this from eBay a year or so ago.. I have no idea if it's genuine but it's lasted well and doesn't shed. It's the perfect shape to sculpt my cheeks with Blush/Bronzer.


Eyeshadow...

Sigma E40 Blending Brush (£7.95 here)
This is my absolute holy grail brush. If I had to pick only one eye brush it would be this! You can use it to put a wash of shadow across the lid, lightly define your crease and above all... blend blend blend!

Samantha Chapman Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush (part of the starter set £20.99 here)
This is a close second to the E40. It will lay down shadow and blend if you're in a pinch. It's the best  multitasker in the Sam Chapman starter set.

ELF Crease Brush (£1.50 here)
This is possibly my favourite crease brush and one I reach for often. For £1.50 you need this! It's just a great shaped brush that's easy to use.


Eye Definition...

Angled Eyeliner Brush (£3.50 here)
The only liner brush I've ever liked. You can use it wet to line with shadows or with gel or cream formulas. It's fine enough to get a precise line and thick enough to line quickly.

Samantha Chapman Real Techniques Brow Brush (part of the starter set £20.99 here)
This replaced my angled brush from QVS I used to use for my brows. It's short but thick so will hold a good amount of powder if you favour bold brows or quickly fill in lighter ones.

Samantha Chapman Real Techniques Accent Brush (part of the starter set £20.99 here)
Last but not least. I love this. Another great multitasker from the Sam Chapman starter set. I generally use this to define my eyes with a darker shadow or smudge my eyeliner for a smokey look.

There are so many more brushes I have and would recommend but these are my must-have-can't-live-without ones. You could definitely live with a smaller selection at first though. I'd say you need a good powder brush (this could double up as a blush brush if it's not too large), Something like the Sam Chapman Base Shadow Brush (that you can shade, define and blend with) and an brow brush (if shading in your brows is your thing). If you choose wisely you could live with a few hard working brushes.

I hope this post helps some of you looking to bulk out your collection on a budget or those of you just starting out. If you have any great budget brush recommendations please leave me a comment.

Miss BB

6 comments:

  1. i love the elf powder brush for liquid foundation :D

    www.missmathful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful! I am severely lacking in the brush department, which isn't helped my me always leaving them or losing them in random places haha. Will be on a mission to get some more soon so this has been a great read.

    - Allie x

    Allie UK Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the elf powder brush,its amazing!! really want to try out some of the samantha chapman brushes!
    2sisters1obsession.blogspot.com
    Ashlie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this post super helpful! i really want some sigma brushes.
    http://zozeze.blogspot.com/
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. im really tempted by a flat brush for foundation, so the sima or elf both look good. thanks for this as i havent got decent brushes and need to start somewhere.

    http://lauralovesbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forever 21 Brushes are great, I got 4 double ended brushes for £6, and no shedding :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...