Tuesday 20 September 2011

#1 Lip balm? I think not



It was a couple of weeks ago I lost my kiehls virginity with a product you may have heard of, their best selling #1 Lip Balm. Kiehls is a company that's always intrigued me, I love their merchandising and their products really appeal to me. I'm a big skincare lover but I don't love spending £30+ on a body butter that if used as directed wouldn't last me a month. I desperately wanted to try something from the brand so when I was on the hunt for an ultimate lip balm that would heal my forever dry lips they were my first port of call. I asked the every helpful assistant for advice and she recommended the #1 Lip Balm.. How could I resist? at £9.50 it was very much more than I would usually shell out for a balm but I rationalised that you get what you pay for and nothing else had worked. I would like to mention at this stage that baring in mind I purchased what must be the cheapest thing Kiehls carry I got samples for me, 3 samples for the boyfriend (who was with me) and a sample of baby lotion along with some "when are you due?" chit chat. It was presented to me in a nice glossy bag complete with hot pink tissue papers and a brand seal... I was very impressed. Customer service wise it's the best I've experience in a long time
And regardless of my thoughts on the product I bought I will definitely go back to try something else at some point.
Now on to the balm.. I don't have a tremendous amount to say because it's not a tremendous product... Definitely not something I'd label #1. I've come to the conclusion the reason it's their best seller is the price... For those of us dying for piece of the kiehls pie it's the smallest chunk of change we can part with to own a little bit of the brand. In essence all this balm is is petroleum jelly in a tube. I bought the Mango scented one and I can't speak highly enough of the fragrance, really delightful but the balm itself is really no better than Vaseline. Rest assured I wasn't expecting immediate results. I have worn this constantly since I bought it which was 3/4 weeks ago... In fact I'm wearing it now and it's ok if you compare it to drugstore brands but it's really not ok for the price I paid. It will live in my handbag until it's dead because of it's handy packaging but my Vaseline has replaced it by my bed as my night time, after lip scrub treat. Needless to say I will not be repurchasing this "wonder balm", lots of people rave about it and I'm not sure if it's just me and my uber dry lips or if all those ravers are just being crazily loyal to the brand but I am not all about this AT ALL.

Have you tried it? What are your thoughts on high end versus drugstore when it comes to lip treatments?



7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on this! I'm distinctly underwhelmed by it and Khiels as a brand as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds gross! When it comes to lip balm I'm a snob and I stick close to what's always worked for me. I really dig the EOS balms and all their assorted "flavors". I find that while they are great they can wear off easily if you lick your lips a ton?

    Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like it either.. To me it was basically vaseline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I was dissapointed also. I loved the mango scent but its too much of a price to pay for a lip balm is the same as drugstore lip balms. I would even dare to say Nivea and EOS is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I feet exactly the same about this lipbalm! Sure I won't just throw it away but like you said, I don't feel it's worth the price as it's basically Vaseline. How lame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a lipbalm obsession i love the stuff, but i am yet to find one that is HG, my quest continues lol :D

    www.missmathful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only one that feels this way!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...